Monday, January 14, 2008

Am I an Artist?

The following is an excerpt from a paper assignment in my 3rd Year Writing Class at Belmont University in Nashville, TN:

As I first began to contemplate whether I not I qualify I as an artist, my first thoughts gravitated with this linear reasoning – I am a living and breathing human being. I am unique. At no point in the entire history of humanity has another human existed with the same genetic code as I. Simply put, my thoughts, actions, and decisions have some artistic weight in the very nature of my own uniqueness – thus making me, and every human being that has ever existed, an artist in their own respect.

Perhaps even more interesting is the idea that not only are we all artists, but in our uniqueness we are all works of art (produced in the wildly complex and “artistic” method of human reproduction) . One single human being – both a work of art and an artist with unlimited potential to express himself in ways that no other human being ever could.

I believe nothing to be quite as incredible and unifying as the feeling that comes when two people look upon a work of art, hear a song, or read a poem – and then proceed to discuss their insights into the implications of that work. There is an entire realm of our existence that exists in the “poetic,” and being able to relate to and meet others in this realm is simply gratifying.

In my own history with art, I have found that works of art tend to embody one or more of these adjectives – unifying, controversial, simple, beautiful, mysterious, unexpected, trite, lame, historical, pessimistic…the list could go on. Although the ways in which I personify an artist takes on many roles (I draw, write, read, cook…etc), I have dedicated a significant part of my life as a musician. The music and lyrics that I write never see the light of day unless I believe them to entirely represent the very idea for which I first began writing the song.

From personal experience, I could not conceive words sufficient enough to explain how much the songwriting process means to me. While sometimes it can be frustrating to reach the light at the end of the tunnel, it is the journey there that makes each roadblock worthwhile. Currently, I play acoustic guitar and contribute to the lyrics of a group called “The Solo Flight.” Having done the whole ‘being in a band’ thing in high school and growing weary from endlessly having to promote, publicize, and exploit all the art I created, The Solo Flight is great because it is simply the work of three individuals who make art simply for the sake of making art. We’re not trying to make it, get signed, and live off of monies made from our music.

Whenever I have the chance to make it to Boone, NC (they’re both students at Appalachian State), we’ll sit down and simply collaborate on ideas and go from there. To illustrate this point further, I have included with this paper the lyrics to a song we recently wrote entitled “Ride.” There is plenty of layered meaning in this song – but perhaps my favorite is the human connection in a simples stare between the rider on the train (the narrator) and the man in the field picking cotton.

One of the most beautiful things about the human experience are the ways in which we all are able to connect with one another, and I am quite thankful for art, which is both timeless and persistent, and often serves as the medium in which we discover the artist in another individual.


The Solo Flight – “Ride”

Everyday I sit alone
With my little view.
Nothing here so far from home
But endless skies, blue.
Cotton fields are gettin' high.
It must be past noon.
To a town I'm drawing nigh
For my sordid boon.

All day long, just sittin' here,
Round and round the clock.
Oh where am I going?
Where have I been?
I bought the ticket.
I took a ride.

Slowin' down, the dusty air
Gets in my eyes.
Brakes are grinding, whistle blares,
The ride gives a sigh.
Over yonder picks away
A man with such strife.
Looks at me as if to say:
"I'm tired of this life."

Movin' along without wondering where
For oh so long.
Now I know
That simply won't do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...I love the idea that there is a whole realm of life and individuals that exists in the poetic. how true! Tennyson (one of my all time favorite poets) once wrote "Our echoes roll from soul to soul" I love this. There is something about artistic endeavors, about creative expression be it through words, images, or physical pursuits, that stays with people.
Keep writing songs friend, you're good at it!

Anonymous said...

I like the idea that “we are all works of art;” it’s such a positive view of human beings. I feel like that phrase could be of great comfort to someone who was feeling down about themselves. As for two people sharing in art, I totally agree; I get so much pleasure out of introducing my favorite songs or artists to others; it’s like the feeling of satisfaction you get when you give someone a present. Although sometimes it is nice to listen to music alone, it’s also great to be able to enjoy it with someone else and feed off one another’s pleasure.

Random question: how do you consider yourself an artist when you read? Aren’t you merely someone experiencing another person’s art?...unless you are thinking of your mind as a blank slate on which your imagination draws pictures based on the words you read…then maybe so.

It’s very commendable that you stay true to the values and meaning behind what you want your music and lyrics to say. Just make sure that you stick with that as you move into the music business…I wouldn’t want Matt Reynolds to become a sell-out like many others have before him. Although, I really can’t see you doing that…you are definitely not at all like those others. 